Who We Are
The Committee consists of voluntary members and meetings are held about every six weeks or so.
Attendance is open to all HAA members – just contact the Secretary for details. At our AGM each year officers for the roles of Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer are nominated and elected.
If you are a chartered architect and would like to be featured on this site, you can find out more here.
We work together to:
Organise events such as tours and talks
Liaise with the RIBA
Offer mutual support and discuss matters of interest to the local architectural community
History of the HAA
On 19 November 1929 a small group of architects met in the Mayors Parlour at St Albans Town Hall to convene the first meeting of the Hertfordshire Chapter of the Essex, Cambridge and Hertfordshire Society of Architects, an Allied Society of the RIBA. An early venture was the formation in 1930 of a panel of architects in association with the CPRE to advise local authorities on design and materials. The panel’s leaflet ' To those about to build in Herfordshire ' was one of the first 'design guides'. Membership rose to 130 by 1939 and to 580 by 1976, including an Honorary Member, the violinist and conductor Yehudi Menuhin.
The RIBA regional structure underwent major changes in the 1960's and we became the Hertfordshire Association of Architects (HAA), a Branch of RIBA East, together with the branches in Bedfordshire, Essex, Cambridge, Suffolk, Norfolk, Chelmsford , Colchester and Huntingdon & Peterborough.
An exhibition Architecture in Hertfordshire celebrating the Golden Jubilee of the HAA was on display throughout the County in 1980. This featured buildings representative of member’s work, especially in the Garden Cities, New Towns and the school building programme of the immediate post war years. We celebrated our 75th year by a Dinner in the splendid surroundings of the Old Palace at Hatfield House.
The annual HAA Design Awards Scheme was established in 2001: One of the objectives of this scheme is to encourage good design and construction in buildings within Hertfordshire and to raise awareness of RIBA Members and Practices within the County. Not dissimilar to the intentions of our predecessors in 1929!